[Hawkular-dev] kettle build

Juraci Paixão Kröhling jpkroehling at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 08:30:35 EST 2015

On 02/25/2015 02:18 PM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> The "nest" consists of the ...
>
> The kettle, you are right, is nothing more than an "integration
> build" ...

Alright, that clarifies it! Thanks!

> If you want to test your stuff integrated with everything else,
> deploy it in the kettle and watch to see how it plays nice (or not
> :) with the rest of hawkular.

That's probably my goal then.

> We can add custom datasources that we need for all the integration
> components in the kettle, yes. We have now an XSLT transformation
> that takes the out of box wildfly standalone.xml and tweaks it for
> our use. This is not a problem - its how I think it should be done.
> The kettle is the integration platform for everything, so I think
> we should be adding things that the components need in there.

I actually meant the HawkularDS. It seems weird that my component
needs HawkularDS and to have it defined on the "nest", even though
none of them are directly linked (ie: accounts is not aware of "nest"
and vice-versa). But I don't have strong objections about it.

> I don't think we want something called like "ExampleDS" in our
> production builds (which is likely what kettle will eventually
> become). We provide all hawkular integration components with a
> datasource that they are free to use - it is called HawkularDS.
> That's what hawkular devs will use.

Ok, so, we don't expect people to deploy their own stuff on our
production builds, right? In the end, it's not a big deal, but I was
left wondering if there's a reason to deviate from Wildfly here.

> You already can have a "dir" - if by that you mean the server
> exploded so you don't have to unzip it. Just build the kettle with
> "-Pdev" and in target it will already be exploded for you and no
> need to extract anything. If you want to add a tar.gz assembly,
> feel free to do so with a pull request.

Yes, by "dir" I meant the "dir" assembly format, as defined on the
assembly descriptor, which is what the zip looks like before it gets
zipped. I can also live with the -Pdev, but I think the "dir" and
"tar.gz" could be defined directly on the assembly descriptor instead,
if there's no reason to keep it out of there. Again, it's not a big
deal, just convenience.

About the tar.gz: I'll send a PR for it.

- - Juca.