[Hawkular-dev] maven stuff

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 10:12:59 EST 2015

> Don't put all versions in the POM/BOM for reasons I already explained a
> couple of times ;)

(just so I am clear, this isn't a BOM that people are importing - this is discussing the parent POM to our components).

But if we don't have a common parent pom, we can't ensure everyone uses the same version of dependencies and plugins (which is why Peter created the parent pom in the first place). Otherwise, it will end up some modules will be using version "1" but others using version "2" others version "3", etc. and then things get all out of sync as time moves forward and everyone wants to use their own versions and don't coordinate with everyone else.

We need a parent pom to ensure we all are on the same page and our builds all use the same dependencies/plugins across components (ESPECIALLY if we are to have an MVP where everything runs inside a single container (kettle)).