[Hawkular-dev] [metrics] Looking for advice on ListenableFuture usage

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 12:32:49 EST 2015

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 12:20 PM, John Mazzitelli <mazz at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven’t looked at the code too closely yet, but why the need for
>> ListenableFuture to get the response from the bus? JMS/messaging is already
>> asynchronous.
>
> In the RPC-like use-case, I send a message on the bus, and I expect to get a response back from that message. This API helps hide the annoying JMS boiler-plate code you'd have to write to do that RPC-like functionality.

But aren’t you just putting in place more boiler plate with ListenableFuture? The problem with Java futures is that obtaining the result is blocking. ListenableFuture allows you to get the results asynchronously. We already get the results asynchronously with JMS right? I understand the desire for abstracting the JMS code, but I don’t what ListenableFuture buys you.