[Hawkular-dev] embedding hawkular-metrics

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 11:35:51 EST 2015

We already know from previous discussions that one of the use cases for metrics is embedding. There have been plenty of discussions with the WildFly team, notably with Heiko Braun, as well as discussions with the Fabric8 team about embedding metrics into their respective platforms. It has already been established that the dependency on JAX-RS prevents embedding the metrics UI components into the WildFly management console. Do we want to have a different, alternative stack for the embedded use case? An alternative stack would of course *not* depend on JAX-RS. It would maintain a smaller set of dependencies, and maybe more importantly it would require less and not more components/services from WildFly.

I like the idea of a small stack with minimal dependencies, but I do not necessarily like the idea of maintaining one stack for embedded and another stack for other use cases. In other words, I do not want to maintain two implementations of the REST endpoints.

Thoughts?