[Hawkular-dev] Console project structure and plugins

mike thompson mithomps at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 15:31:54 EST 2015

> On 27 Jan 2015, at 11:05, Thomas Heute <theute at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On 01/27/2015 06:09 PM, Viliam Rockai wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I want to start this thread to gather some information about how
>> components are shared between projects. So, to make the terminology
>> clear, lets check this stuff:
>> https://github.com/vrockai/hawkular/tree/master/ui/console/alerts
>> https://github.com/vrockai/hawkular/tree/master/ui/console/metrics
>>
>> are future components/widgets which are going to be used on the console
>> page. Those components are Hawtio 2.x plugins.
>>
>> According to:
>> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/blob/master/docs/Overview2dotX.md
>>
>> I expect exposing plugins as bower packages is the preferred way in
>> Hawtio 2.x. From my perspective (angular guy) this is pretty much what
>> is expected. The only way to expose/share those components as bower
>> packages to third-parties would be to put them in separate repo. As was
>> already said on IRC, this may be overkill. I see two ways of resolution:
>>
>> 1. Create separate repository for each component. Those all would be
>> bower dependencies of the hawkular console.
>> Pros: possibly consistent with the Hawtio 2.x ways, modularity = we
>> download only what we need.
>> Cons: lots of repositories to take care of.
>>
>> 2. Create a single repository for all the plugins. The whole library of
>> sibling components, similar to i.e. Angular-UI.
>> Pros: easier maintenance.
>> Cons: less modular = need to download whole library before we filter
>> which plugins we want to use.
>>
>> I see, that the 2nd approach already exists in the hawtio repository,
>> probably the best way would be to put our components to this repo:
>> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio-ui
> We need to be able to release early/often and be relatively independent.
> I don't think our components are generic enough for this repository
> anyway (since they depend on our services).
>
> It's a long term goal to be able to consume Fabric8 hawt.io plugin and
> to be embeddable with OpenShift Dev console but in the immediate the
> priority is to have a standalone monitoring project. In the short/medium
> term we will anyway only build plugins that we need for hawkular so the
> cons of having to download the whole library doesn't really apply. I
> don't know anything about Bower/hawt.io and UI stuff of 2014/2015 but
> option 2 sounds good at least initially while we need to develop fast
> and will likely want to reorg code a couple of times before we are
> satisfied.
>
> I notice that they have a single repo for multiple plugins so I guess we
> can as well ?
Perhaps you are looking at the old plugins some of which have not been migrated to the new hawt.io 2 plugin architecture. Right now there are 11 bower packages(and corresponding repos):

http://bower.io/search/?q=hawtio <http://bower.io/search/?q=hawtio>

Plugins are bower packages and require a git repo but several plugins can be packaged into a single bower package.

So that sounds like our best bet to add another git repo for the ui and wrap all of our plugins up into that bower package.