[Hawkular-dev] Should Keycloak integration be optional?

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 06:22:12 EST 2015

On 01/30/2015 10:58 AM, Thomas Segismont wrote:
>> Sorry for cutting the whole message to just this point, but before
>> talking about the other points, I just want to clarify one thing: the
>
> That's ok, as long as we do talk about the other points ;)
>
>>    admin does*not*  need to deal with KC at all when trying things out.
>> To run a metrics server, one just runs the start.sh and Keycloak just
>> happens to be there as an implementation detail.
>>

> I know that start.sh does everything so that you get a metrics + KC
> instance up and running. But that is not my point. My point is that many
> admins will not even try the start.sh way if they realize they will
> *have to* install an identity management server to use metrics in the
> long run.
>
>> Once the admin is ready to bring things to production, then Keycloak
>> becomes a "concern", like any other backend would be (LDAP, SAML, ...).
>>

> When you install InfluxDB, carbon/whisper, opentsdb, you don't need to
> install an identity management server, period.

They are also not multi-tenant solutions AFAIK. I don't see Metrics
competing with the solution mentioned, actually we looked into those to
use as underlying solution.

That said I am fine not providing security within Metrics and have it
part of Hawkular only if we can. I am much more hesitant providing
multiple stacks for multiple purposes as it makes testing much more
complicated.

Thomas