[Hawkular-dev] metric data type

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 12:12:28 EDT 2015

OK, folks... how do we solve the following?

There are now two independent enums to define metric data type - one in inventory and one in metrics.

org.hawkular.inventory.api.model.MetricDataType

org.hawkular.metrics.client.common.MetricType

>From an agent or feed perspective, I now have to decide which one I want. Pretty annoying, but OK I can translate between the two if I need to (if the agent is talking to inventory, it will use their enum; if talking to metrics, use their enum). In the agent configuration, <metric-dmr> will need to use the common values between the two in order to support both. But this leads to a more difficult problem to come to grips with - inventory and metric enums for metric type have different values!

Inventory has GAUGE, AVAILABILITY, COUNTER, COUNTER_RATE.

Metrics API has GAUGE, COUNTER, TIMING, SIMPLE.

Right now, the wildfly agent only supports gauge and counter (and inventory availability).