[Hawkular-dev] Release cadence

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 15:28:54 EDT 2015

OK, so I think everyone has valid points and mostly I agree with Lukas,
our issues are mainly the result of many quickly-iterating moving
parts.  But we do have room to improve.  We need to remember that the
reason we are running with all of these components is so that Hawkular
master can be releasable both at any-time (stability) and at scheduled
dates meeting certain feature goals (progress). With that in mind it's
quite important for the [component] developers to have a clear picture
or what is needed from them for the next Hawkular feature release.
Given that knowledge the component should have a release available as
far in advance as possible with the needed feature support.  As Lukas
mentions, 2 weeks is a very good goal.  It could be that a Hawkular
release doesn't even require a new component release.  Releasing
daily/weekly/etc really doesn't make much difference, I think, instead
it is important that there is a release early enough in the Hawkular
release cycle that supports the next release of Hawkular. This then sets
us up to quickly respond with a follow-up release to address issues or
things we missed.  The components must strive to be out in front of the
console.

As for Mazz's suggestion of a dev/latest branch for each component. I'm
not convinced that that is necessary.  I think a component's master
branch should be free to have commits towards their next release.  And
note, they should be ready to release a new feature release at any
time.  And that means no snapshot dependencies.   So, if your component
is currently dependent on a snapshot of another component, you will
obviously need to be working in an integration branch.  This is when
Heiko's release-often approach is most critical.  If someone is
depending on your snapshot I think your highest priority should then be
to release to get them off of that dependency.  And consumers, help them
do that as well.  This is the coin-flip exercise.

As for Versioning, we're getting closer to a standard but I think we
could maybe do a little better.  My take on the recent discussions is
this.  We know we can't release with snapshot dependencies so, as
described above, we need to minimize the windows that a snapshot dep is
in use by a consuming component.   We are all using Major.Minor.Micro
versioning. That is good.  And most of us are following the RH guideline
of the suffix, like ".Final".  We are, I think, all using the following
guidelines:

  * Breaking change releases minimally require a Minor version increment
  * Backward compatible minimally require a Micro version increment
  * Pure fix/patch releases should only increment the Micro version.

I would further suggest that all releases at this time use the ".Final"
suffix.  Using ".AlphaX" does nothing more than create controversy.  It
has no meaning wrt quality or usability at this point in time.   Anytime
a feature or fix release goes out, the Major.Minor.Micro version change
should be sufficient.  Release often [enough], increment the version and
tack on ".Final".  No "Alpha", no "Snapshot", no timed "Snapshot".

I think we should take to heart Heiko's intentions and release often.
But I hope we can avoid fabricated release schedules for the components
and instead have us focus on releasing based on the overall needs of
Hawkular (2 weeks early!) and consuming components (kill snapshot deps
ASAP!).