[Hawkular-dev] "Generated UI" ?

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 09:42:25 EDT 2015

On 23/07/15 07:23 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> hey,
>
> for upcoming tasks like
>
> "define and manage jdbc driver"
> "define and manage data source"
> and others
>
> I wonder if we could speed up the UI development a bit by
> creating some skeletons for html , and also ts-code
> by running some scripts over the resource type
> definitions we have.
>
> This is not meant to be the 100% UI, but rather a start where
> the UI folks can improve on, but which could give us a (working)
> head start.
>
> Does that make any sense?

Is the plan that the backend developer create a rough UI, then the UX
team comes in to properly design it and give the designs to the UI
developers to actually implement it?

The problem I have with this is that even though the rough UI made by
developers is meant to be temporary, it has a habit of becoming more
permanent. Usually due to time and priority constraints. Everyone only
has so much time to put into things, and something ugly and awkward but
functional is usually less priority than something which needs to be
done and is not up and running yet.

The other thing is that UX is can be really hard, and it might be
tempting to just make the developer created awkward UI look better
rather than solving the real UX problems.

[Note: I am not saying that a developer cannot create a really good
awesome UI/UX here, I am speaking more from my own experiences and what
I have seen in the past on projects. There is a reason we have UX people
on the team handling things :)]

But I guess all we would need to do is make sure that the rough UI is
handled somewhere other than the main branch so that it doesn't
interfere with the actual console.