[Hawkular-dev] Revisit resource naming + resource types for Alpha4

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 09:27:45 EDT 2015

Hey,

we currently have a pretty ad-hoc resource naming scheme,
that involves magic constants like "MI~R" or "AI~R"
and also sometimes square brackets '[' and ']', which are
even invalid characters (if not escaped) inside a URL [1].

A recent switch from resource naming with [] to one without
[] created a bit of a mess, as the metric names still expect
the [] and probably other clients that are not part of the
github.com/hawkular repositories

We need to revisit and fix the resource types
(e.g. supply WildFly base data from within the Hawkular server)
and the resources using those including names of
metric definitions , operation definitions etc in Alpha4
before too much code relies on it.

Similar I believe that resource info should not contain
the full type information every time - only if explicitly
requested. Clients should be able to get the type info
by following a link that is supplied in the resource info.

On top of that we need to publish how client writers
can get the data they need.

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-491