[Hawkular-dev] Revisit resource naming + resource types for Alpha4

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 02:50:27 EDT 2015

On 30 Jul 2015, at 20:54, Michael Burman wrote:

> But this [id] or id has nothing to do with encoding. It could have
> just as well been 'hawkular.id' or 'id' and be an issue. This is more

You are right, it has nothing to do with encoding.
It is rather a mis-understanding of semantics where some parts/parties
were thinking the [] belong to the id while others don't.
We need to define those semantics going forward.

> to do with namespacing issue than limiting what characters we could
> use in the metrics ids. Hawkular-Metrics still returned the exact same
> name as was written to it. For namespacing (if we want to have

This is nice, but not enough for Hawkular overall.
Also if John says he needs a special character for some tags, then
we need to make sure that this special character does not show up
in a resource id, when the resource id is part of the metric name,
as otherwise it could be misinterpreted by Hawkular-Metrics.

> Not to mention the normal browser usage. If the user wants to use
> easily remembered ids, he should not use generated ones (who could
> remember uuids if they can't remember encoding rules?). If this is a
> question of some certain agent then it's still not a global issue.

I am not proposing UUIDs.
But for humans to remember a sequence of %5D%20%2F%20%5B, it is
as readable as a UUID.