[Hawkular-dev] resource config and operations

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 06:38:53 EDT 2015

> I am not 100% sure it is a good idea to store maps or other "rich" types as
> property values in inventory as that may have influence on their indexability
> or (altogether the ability to persist such objects).
>
> There are for sure performance implications for doing so but we need to wait

If this is true, then I *strongly* recommend you change the inventory API. Because in all the inventory Blueprint objects that I've seen, they define properties as a Map of Objects:

@JsonProperty("properties") Map<String, Object> properties)

When I saw this (and with lack of javadoc :)) I took this to mean I can store whatever I want (and I took this to mean it is *OK* to store whatever I want).

If we want to discourage (or even not allow) the use of storing rich types, then that API should be changed, to something like:

@JsonProperty("properties") Map<String, String> properties)