[Hawkular-dev] http://www.jboss.org/docker/

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 09:29:56 EDT 2015

I believe what is happening here is that they are using the Docker Hub
automated build system with that particular github repo.

This will be similar to the same setup we have right now with docker
hub. I don't know who in this case sets up things like build hooks, if
its the jboss-dockerfiles account holder of if we also have some
permissions granted. We do not want to have to update a file in that
github account everytime we build a new snaphot :) So we need to setup
the automation like we currently have.

The docker hub automated builds are not something I think we should be
looking into at all. It lacks basic features and doesn't work nicely
with normal workflows.

We will not be able to:

- build our own docker images

- tag particular images

- run tests on the images before they are published (publishing first
and then being able to run tests is a backwards approach)

- automatically update versions when a new release happens (this
requires a bunch of extra manual steps in multiple locations)

- keep things synchronized with kubernetes applications

- keep most of the docker build artifacts, configurations and tests in
the same place.

- have an nice developer experience.

For the all-in-one Hawkular I guess since someone else is looking into
that I don't have to worry too much about it, but for our metrics
containers I do not want them using the automated build approach.

- Matt