[Hawkular-dev] Release Process - Hawkular Metrics + Components

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 08:42:16 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

When qualifiers will become relevant will add them to the version. Semver does not preclude the use of qualifiers, but Hawkular Metrics does not require qualifies at this time.

> > 2) A scheduled release:
> >   a) is a planned release, with a set of significant changes
> >   b) is the next increment on MAJOR.MINOR version (eg: from 0.4.0 to 0.5.0)
> >   c) gets a dedicated branch from master
> >   d) gets tagged on the branch
> >   e) gets full release notes, JIRA, email communication, blog
> >   f) bits are published to JBoss Nexus and Github
>
> Don't think we should create a branch for the sake of it - if required (i.e.
> for a patch) then can be created from the tag.

This model is not new, we've been tested it with RHQ and it worked well. It is good to have a permanent branch for some code if you expect to publish patch releases of that code.

> > 3) A patch release
> >   a) needed to address urgent bugs or regression between scheduled releases
> >   b) is an increment in the PATCH version (eg. 0.4.2)
> >   c) no dedicated branch, patches are applied to the branch of a 'scheduled
> >   release'
> >   d) gets tagged on the working branch
> >   e) no release notes, blog posts, or similar communication; the only
> >   official communication will be a list of JIRAs fixed
> >   f) bits published to JBoss Nexus and Github
> >   g) all the code fixes will be applied retroactively to master
>
> Not sure we are meant to release artifacts for patches? I thought patches are
> only for product. Community would need to build from source if they required
> these releases.

This is an implicit requirement from the discussions I've had last week. The need was to patch (with a single commit) a previous version of Hawkular Metrics for consumption in Hawkular. Since Hawkular proper needed to consume the patched bits, publishing is the only option. Also, from the way I framed a patch release, unless somebody needs to consume fixed bits, it will not happen. If it's just a bug that can be fixed in the next scheduled release, then no code changes will be made for the affected release.

Thank you,
Stefan