[Hawkular-dev] Release Process - Hawkular Metrics + Components

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 10:00:36 EDT 2015

Hi Stefan, inline...

On 15/06/15 14:56, Stefan Negrea wrote:

> [...]

Once again: could you please sum up in a single sentence what should
happen in master?

FWIW, I have understood already that tagging anything is not a kind of
thing allowed in master.

To the very opposite, I am convinced that tags are very useful in master
- they mark very important milestones in the history and they naturaly
mark points where the histories of maintenance branches diverge from
master, if they exist or where to fork from master when there is a need
to create a maintenance branch.

I looked at RHQ and I must say I do not like it.

>> Why not on master (if possible in the given situation)?
>
> Not possible. The commit with the version will only live in release branch.

>>> Don't think we should create a branch for the sake of it - if required
>>> (i.e. for a patch) then can be created from the tag.

>>> Not sure we are meant to release artifacts for patches? I thought patches
>>> are only for product. Community would need to build from source if they
>>> required these releases.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Gary

>> Why one a month?
>> Is there a way for me to find out at any point in time when will the
>> next Metrics release happen? E.g. ATM it would be very helpful to know
>> when is 0.3.5 coming? Note that rather than waiting days for the
>> polished 0.3.5, we'd be happier with a not-so-polished 0.3.5.Alpha1
>> coming today to be able to work on its integration into Hawkular.
>

> There will be no other releases besides scheduled and patch
> releases.And this process will start with the next release (0.4.0) which will
> most likely happen this week. The one month timeline is what works
> currently for Hawkular Metrics.
 >
> If you want up to date changes for Hawkular Metrics please use timed
> snapshots. Here is the list for 0.3.5:

Am I understanding you right that you do not plan to release 0.3.5?

In this branch https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular/tree/metrics-next,
we wait for 0.3.5 that would include the fix of the CORS bug provided to
Metrics by Viliam. I hope that fulfills your definition of patch release
(well, except that your definition is valid since next week of course)?

We hereby kindy ask for 0.3.5 as soon as possible, because our branch is
aging and we need to bring it to master as soon as possible. Please note
that we cannot use a snapshot (timestamped or not) in hk master.

Thanks,

Peter