[Hawkular-dev] Property passing into Hawkular(-metrics)

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 04:29:32 EDT 2015

Hey,

currently one can pass properties/options like the C* to use
via -Dkey=value pairs to standalone.sh/bat

This is a bit cumbersome and also does not work in cases, where
the command line is set at "compile time" like in a Dockerfile,
but the property needs to be set at run time (when docker run
a pre-made image).

There would be the option to set JAVA_OPTS before starting
the script, but JAVA_OPTS is
a) something that may apply to multiple java programs on a machine
and is thus not specific
b) inside standalone.conf not additive, so one has to repeat all the
options from standalone.conf on JAVA_OPTS

So I propose hat we add (similar to RHQ) some HAWKULAR_OPTS
that are additive to JAVA_OPTS.

We need to modify standalone.sh/bat to source them (and keep the
modified versions in our git repo.

Alternatives could be
- create wrapper scripts that set JAVA_OPTS and call standalone.sh,
  but that only indirectly solves [1]
- as the WildFly team to add some WF_LOCAL_OPTS in upcoming releases.
  I fear that may take too long.

Opinions?

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-288