[Hawkular-dev] Parent POM and Wildfly BOM

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 10:18:23 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I've been working on the changes needed in Metrics for the parent POM
upgrade to version 16 (those introducing Wildfly 9).

There are three things I noticed which I believe are worth sharing.

Firstly beware that the Wildfly guys have changed their philosophy about
the BOM: now they force the "provided" scope in the BOM and exclude all
the dependencies they think you shouldn't care about as a EE7
application developer.
On one hand it frees you from adding the provided scope declaration in
your application POM. On the other hand, if you use one of the artifacts
in tests then dependency resolution could suddenly be broken.

Secondly our parent POM does not only declare the Wildfly POM in
dependency management section, in also imports it. Which means that all
our projects get forced versioning and scope, even if they are not
Wildfly based.

Thirdly, minor issue, the Wildfly Maven plugin does not configure a
default Wildfly version which means that we are all forced to declare in
components parent POMs. Like this in Metrics:
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/blob/master/pom.xml#L190-L196

Going forward, I propose that we no longer "import" the BOM in Hawkular
parent, and let components do it where needed. And that we declare the
Wildfly version to start with the Wildfly Maven plugin in the parent.

Regards,
Thomas