[Hawkular-dev] JSON: jackson and gson. Can we unify the libraries ?

Lucas Ponce lponce at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 07:48:03 EDT 2015

Hello,

As an implementation detail, we are using two libraries to serialize/deserialize with JSON.

For REST endpoints we are using mainly jackson library as it's packaged with RESTEasy implementation.

For BUS and other scenarios (like alert engine), we are using gson library.

Does it make sense to unify them ?

I have an scenario where I would like to use a class used as data in REST endpoints as payload of a BUS message, and I need to deal with some duplication on json serialization/deserialization tasks.

Perhaps there are good reason to maintain both and that's the best answer but I'm not sure and I wanted to start a discussion around it.

Thanks,
Lucas