[Hawkular-dev] Default user, or alternative realm file?

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 13:35:22 EDT 2015

In LiveOak for the OpenShift cartridge, we had the system generate an
initial default password. So on first login you would have to know the
randomized initial password, and also be forced to set a new password on
the first login. It wasn't too bad on OpenShift since the password was
set it to the Mongodb cartridge's password which was visible in the
OpenShift console. It solved the problem of first-to-access-hijacking
(which in my opinion is a bad situation, things should be secure by
default).

We could have something setup so that when the server is first started
we look for a property to use for the initial credentials (eg
-Dhawkular.initial.password=foo). If that property is not set, then
generate a password and display it in the logs or in a file somewhere.
When the user would login for the first time, they would need to enter
this password and then be forced to set a real password. If they don't
set the property it could be a bit annoying as they might have to ssh
into a machine to read the file/logs to get the initial password.