[Hawkular-dev] scope of the agent design

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 15:42:19 EDT 2015

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 16 Mar 2015, at 20:07, John Sanda wrote:
>
>> For monitoring purposes, do we really need to write an agent? Should
>> we just leverage existing tools/libraries? I previously cited three
>
> (Re)using all those tools is fine and certainly desired, but the issue
> is less
> about what some random tool uses to collect metrics inside an app, but
> rather how to access and transport them. Using JMX like in the good ol'
> days is certainly a way. Or using the Jolokia Java agent. But still
> someone
> needs to talk to them.

Accessing and transporting the data is already answered to a large degree. That is the primary reason I brought it up in the first place. Another aspect to consider is that different types of monitoring agents lend themselves better to different scenarios. I think that focusing more on integration with existing agents/collectors gives us a better chance of being able to use the best tool for a particular situation.