[Hawkular-dev] scope of the agent design

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 13:14:48 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 16:50:59 Thomas Heute wrote:
> I don't think we are on the same page regarding the focus of the
> project/product.
>
> Hawkular is targeted toward Red Hat Middleware management, for
> infrastructure management there are gazillion other solutions.
> We need "some" basic infrastructure management, for those basic needs a
> user shouldn't need to maintain a solution made of multiple puzzle pieces.
>
> Look at NewRelic or ruxit those are dead simple to install and to start
> monitoring.

As great as ruxit is, it requires to run their agent as root, forcing itself
into ld.so.preload and modifying selinux policies. That gave me a bit of
shivers (https://answers.ruxit.com/questions/286/).

I thought Red Hat does things the UNIX/microservice way - integrating tools
that do 1 thing and do it well. Hence my focus on integration.

I do hope we are on the same page, though. I was maybe a bit loud at stressing
the integration aspect because I saw the tendencies to write yet another RHQ
agent. IMHO, that is something we should try to avoid/minimize if possible
(and I am not saying there won't be usecases requiring it - I just think it
should not be the first choice when trying to implement something).

The good thing about integrating with 3rd party monitoring is that we get what
they are able to monitor "for free" (where free is the cost of keeping
ourselves compatible with the 3rd party tool ;) ) which enables our users to
reuse the monitoring they most probably have already set up and only upgrade
the server-side to a hopefully much more capable thing that Hawkular will be.

As I said already below, I think it is worth pursuing the in-process
management where possible as that should avoid the pitfalls/usability problems
we ran into with RHQ agent.

The proportion of work on in-process management versus the integration with
3rd party tools vs out-of-process "full" agent is of course a function of
priorities and project/product focus. I just wanted to try and persuade people
that relying on there being an "Hawkular agent" is IMHO not the best solution
to our overall "agent-side" architecture. It probably will be a part of the
picture, but it should not be required, IMHO.