[Hawkular-dev] availability and metric endpoints

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 04:19:13 EDT 2015

On 20 Mar 2015, at 17:23, Lukas Krejci wrote:

> Isn't metrics going to store "events" eventually, too? Those would be
> textual,
> wouldn't they?
>
> Also, IMHO, even config could be stored in metrics. Even though that
> is a bit
> of a stretch, configuration is after all a time series of structured
> data...

If so, would we need to rename this to Hawkular-storage (?) :-)

Seriously, I think we should consider better decoupling the actual
storage from
api and semantics. Sounds probably pretty strange, so let me explain:
If we consider everything a "metric" we are sucking in more and more
dependencies into metrics or vice versa. But in fact (and we are seeing
it with the availability discussion), items like availability / computed
resource state,
inventory data, ... have a semantic that differs a lot from metrics.

We may still want to store all that in Cassandra, but not necessarily in
the
same place inside it. And even less have one api "POST /stuff" where
people
throw everything at, but rather specialized ones.