[Hawkular-dev] Business app/services representation in Inventory

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 08:30:15 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

Inventory definitely is the right place to store such information.

> An alternative approach would be to derive the structure and relationships
> dynamically from the business transaction instance information.

Deriving the structure and relationships dynamically is basically
a "discovery" as called in ye olde RHQ days. That is a capability
which we'd very much like to keep.

The new inventory is (so far) unaware of special "discovery" step - everything
from resource creation to establishing relationships is done through 1 public
API that "anyone" can use.

> The benefit of storing in Inventory is it enables end users to navigate
> through the inventory to understand the relationships to the business
> apps/services, as well as allow other tooling (e.g. impact analysis) to
> determine the effect of IT resource downtime on business apps.

+1. I know Brett will object that that's what Artificer is for, too, but I
personally see the difference in Inventory's focus on relationships, while
Artificer is more geared towards managing content.