[Hawkular-dev] Business app/services representation in Inventory

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 10:33:43 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 08:53:35 Gary Brown wrote:
> Ok thanks for the info.
>
> Just to be clear - so as components are dynamically deployed/undeployed from
> a server, these should be reflected in the Inventory - so it represents a
> current view of the environment being managed?
>
> Are there any plans to represent docker images in Inventory, associated with
> the servers that have been launched using them?

There are plans to only have a core set of predefined relationship types that
define most basic concepts (along with semantics) like "contains", "defines",
etc. and a couple of data types:

* tenant
* environment (these two just to model the common structure of infrastructure)
* resource type
* metric type (metadata about resources or metrics, optional)
* resource
* metric

On top of the predefined relationship types, the user is free to create any
another relationship between any 2 entities. The semantics of those will be in
the hand of the user.

All will be dynamically creatable and amendable so if you wish to create a
resource representing a docker image, go ahead.

Things will probably get a little bit more complicated at the UI level for how
to represent things but data model wise, we won't care what the inventory
stores.