[Hawkular-dev] availability and metric endpoints

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 12:52:35 EDT 2015

Hi,

Last week I had a long phone conversation with John about the impact of
the coming changes to metrics on the Influx API support. I'd like to
share the conclusion I've come to.

So in the future we'll have counters and gauges series. The goal is to
qualify the data inserted upfront so that things like
statistics/aggregates are automatically computed.

If we're going this way it's going to be difficult (and less relevant)
to maintain the Influx API support, because we'll lose the 1 to 1
mapping between an Influx series and an Hawkular Metrics series. When a
user will post/read data, should it be stored/read to/from a counter or
a gauge?

As Micke is working on a Go lang sink for cAdvisor/Heapster, the Influx
support API is less important regarding our immediate needs. But we'll
lose the ability to integrate with all the tools which support Influx
already (Grafana and JMeter among others).

It doesn't mean we can't write our own integration code for these tools.
But that's not for free.

Regards,
Thomas