[Hawkular-dev] hawkular agent reporting metrics

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 15:47:55 EDT 2015

OK, I can report some success.

In our new Hawkular Agent repo [1] I have a new-and-improved hawkular-wildfly-monitor maven module. It produces the hawkular monitor subsystem that gets deployed inside Wildfly and can monitor any number of attributes of any number of wildfly resources (right now I just have it configured to collect some memory and thread metric data - see [2] for the subsystem configuration's metricSet definitions).

It isn't baked into kettle, but using Libor's nice maven plugin, when you build that new agent you can tell maven to install it in your kettle instance (see [3] for the command to run when building hawkular-agent/hawkular-wildfly-monitor).

You won't be able to see anything in any nice graphs since kettle is strongly typed to that pinger thing. But the kettle log file should show many messages about the data getting pushed into hawkular-metrics. So, it should be in there.

This hawular agent's sole job is to monitor the wildfly instance it is running in.

That's all for now. Just wanted to give an early status since I was out last week.

--John Mazz

[1] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent
[2] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/blob/master/hawkular-wildfly-monitor/src/main/assembly/subsystem.xml#L32L64
[3] mvn -Dorg.hawkular.wildfly.home=/source/hawkular/kettle/target/wildfly-8.2.0.Final clean install wildfly-extension:deploy