[Hawkular-dev] Properties store?

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Mon May 4 08:03:15 EDT 2015

In my mind almost anything "is changing like a metric", because everything
changes over time.

Also IMHO  "key-value pairs" are just JSON. I think that the structured data
support for configs and operation params served us well in RHQ.

So IMHO we need a time-series store for structured data. I am not sure inventory
is that -  it is good for storing relationships among entities but I am not
sure if it is well suited for storing (versioned) structured data.

The reason for that is that such support would require somehow translating the
JSON-like format of the structured data into a graph of nodes in the underlying
graph database to enable any visibility of the constituent parts of the data
structure.

Alternatively, with Titan, it might be possible to achieve the same result
if we employed ElasticSearch as additional backend for it and configured it
to analyze the JSON. I have not yet looked into the possibilities, pros nor
cons of that approach.

Or just use ElasticSearch as a "properties store" straight away - both
inventory and IMHO metrics could benefit from having ES as part of the Hawkular
cluster for their own purposes but IMHO a dedicated properties store should
be geared towards storing, analyzing and querying structured data - which is
the exact sales pitch of ES ;)

Now I'm not saying that I know anything more about ES than I just said - maybe
it's completely different and I'm blabbering nonsense here, but I guess the
point I wanted to make is that inventory is not designed to store, query
or analyze structured data in and of itself.

Lukas