[Hawkular-dev] Event Store

Gary Brown gbrown at redhat.com
Fri May 8 06:30:37 EDT 2015

Hi Lucas

----- Original Message -----
> > Although it could be provided as a separate component, I am not sure we
> > have
> > any use cases where it would be used independent of the bus, so think it is
> > probably best to include it as additional functionality within the Bus
> > component.
> >
> > Agree/disagree?
> >

> In terms of archicture I would suggest to follow a similar architecture
> discussed for metrics/alerts/inventory.
>
> A main component with this persistence/Java API dependencies and then to a
> Listener/CDI/TBD (glue) project that integrate the component with the Bus,
> so then if needed, component could work without Bus dependencies.
> Perhaps we don't have an isolated use case without kettle/bus but I think
> that in that way we can unify the picture.

That sounds reasonable - although it is slightly different to how the events/alerts discussion went (I believe) where I think the suggestion was that events were persisted off the bus, including Alerts being published and stored, rather than locally storing - possibly my misunderstanding.

However on reflection that would make the components more dependent upon the bus, so probably better to have a shared 'persistence' component, as you suggest, which could be used by all of the other components to persist information directly, and then use the bus to publish the data for further processing.

In terms of Elasticsearch - this 'persistence' component could initially simply wrap Cassandra and then as we understand the query requirements, add (possibly optional) support for Elasticsearch to do the advanced queries.

Only component I am not sure about how it may use this shared 'persistence' component is Inventory, as it uses Cassandra via Titan?

Regards
Gary