[Hawkular-dev] Adding git SHA1 & Co. to manifest.mf to improve traceability

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon May 11 04:44:43 EDT 2015

Hi *,

citing from https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-176 :

== Motivation

The proposed changes should improve the traceability of the components
delivered with kettle. Because we use SNAPSHOTs to build kettle ATM,
there is no way to find out which state of the individual component's
git repos underlie the given kettle distribution.

In a situation when Lukáš has a working kettle distro and Thomas H.
cannot succeed to build one, they can go through the SHA1 hashes listed
in the manifest.mf files of the kettle components to find out where is
the difference.

This proposal is not a proper solution of the problem that kettle builds
are not reproducible. It just picks some low hanging fruits to soften
the possible negative impact of our irreproducible builds.

== Changes

Maven should be configured in such a way that .jar, .war and *.ear files
will have the following new entries added to their manifest.mf files:
Built-From-Git-SHA1 - the last git commit's hash
Built-On - the time when the build has started
Built-From-Git-Branch - the git branch being built from

Further, when the release profile is active, the build should fail, in
case there are uncommitted local changes.

See https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/pull/21

Best,

Peter