[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular, individual components and snapshots

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Tue May 12 03:41:54 EDT 2015

Peter has answered in the original thread about the goal of his PR so
I'll focus on your questions.

Le 11/05/2015 19:49, Lukas Krejci a écrit :
> 1) is the interdependence of the individual components so great that we really
> would have to release every other day?

There's no Hawkular without the individual components. So when new
capabilities are added to Hawkular, there are good chances that a good
part should be implemented in Metrics/Alerts/Inventory first.

Then why is it a problem to release every day? Aren't we talking about
continuous delivery all the time? If it's difficult to release an
individual component in a few minutes then there's an issue, and it
should be fixed.

> 2) is the UI willing to work in branches for long time to track unreleased
> progress in individual components? UI, really, is the biggest concern for me,
> because it usually needs the cutting edge functionality from the components.

UI isn't an individual component. It's part (the most humanly visible
one!) of Hawkular. And Hawkular relies on the individual components, so
yes, very often enhancing Hawkular implies enhancing the individual
components.

Being agile does not mean zero planning. I can't see why we couldn't, as
an example, select a few Metrics JIRA needed for the coming Hawkular
developments(UI or not) and plan a micro release.

> 3) can the release process be somehow sped up so that stuff appears in some
> public maven repos soon after the release is cut? (i.e. NOT 12-24 hrs)

The JBoss releases repo is public. Artifacts can be downloaded from
there after the release process completes.

> 4) is Kettle of big interest to the community? Currently it does much LESS
> than the individual components are capable of doing. Pinger really only
> scrapes the surface in the terms of the functionality being developed across
> the board.

The Kettle *IS* Hawkular. I believe the naming does not help to see that
it shouldn't be just a container where we throw in all the individual
components. It's our primary project.

The Pinger implements the goals we've assigned to the first milestones.
It could very well disappear tomorrow (to reborn in a new or existing
module of course).

Metrics, Alerts and Inventory are not RHQ's successor. Hawkular is.