[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular, individual components and snapshots

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue May 12 05:53:25 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:23:40 Thomas Heute wrote:
> On 05/12/2015 09:41 AM, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> >> 4) is Kettle of big interest to the community? Currently it does much
> >> LESS
> >> than the individual components are capable of doing. Pinger really only
> >> scrapes the surface in the terms of the functionality being developed
> >> across the board.
> >
> > The Kettle *IS* Hawkular. I believe the naming does not help to see that
> > it shouldn't be just a container where we throw in all the individual
> > components. It's our primary project.
>
> +gazillion

Hawkular is our ONLY project actually ;)

I think I phrased the question wrongly - IMHO, Kettle or Hawkular as a whole
might not be of that much of an interest to the community NOW simply because
of the fact that it is not much more than a codified hand-waving *at the
moment*. UI is actually being done to last but the integration "layer" and
pinger certainly aren't (again, this is the situation *at the moment* - we're
working hard to change that).

If I was an external contributor wanting to contribute in the Hawkular I'd run
away if I needed to update the pinger or the way the components are integrated
at this moment. It is all a hack right now (again, we're working hard to
change that - we're just not there yet).

But if I was an external contributor trying to make sure one of the Hawkular
components did what I wanted, I can do that now - those things are now at a
much more stable place already.

So that's what I meant by community being currently maybe more interested in
the components than Hawkular itself. It's not that Hawkular is somehow less
important, it's just that it requires large foundations that are not yet there
to even start to resemble its true form.