[Hawkular-dev] Branch Kettle?

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Tue May 12 14:43:56 EDT 2015

Related to the "Adding git SHA1 & Co. to manifest.mf to improve
traceability" thread...

In the interim between now and when we move to strong versioning could
we perhaps just create a "stable" branch for kettle?  Note the term
"stable" as opposed to "release" or something like that.  This idea was
kicked around at the F2F as a possible solution.

The stable branch would have poms updated with non-snapshot versions of
the components and so would be reproducible.  It could be used for demos
without fear of snapshot regression.  It could be used by QE for
test-case development and [non-release] qualification. Kettle itself
could be versioned, bumping it's version whenever a consumed component
version was updated.

Components would be required to make at least an initial release to get
things going, and then should make subsequent releases at relatively
short intervals, maybe every few weeks.

Will this work and be helpful?