[Hawkular-dev] The components, glue and kettle

Lucas Ponce lponce at redhat.com
Wed May 13 04:10:47 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

+1

> In terms of how the 'core' artifacts from each component should be enhanced
> with the glue - may be the simplest way would be as one person suggested -
> use an overlay to build upon the 'core' war artifact to add the glue
> artifacts (which in general will probably just be bus integration). So each
> component only needs to produce a single 'core' war, but also manages the
> integration artifacts locally.
>
> I think I would prefer this approach over a single ear, as it still retains
> the individual component boundaries but enhances them with whatever they
> need to communicate in the kettle.
>
> It would be even more ideal if jboss modules allowed exploded wars, so that
> we didn't need to use overlays, but I don't believe this is the case.

My only open question about packaging is about which one is better for integration testing.

I like the idea to have in the component integration tests beyond simple junits, it can help to test REST/Accounts/Bus integration as well as other minor regressions before to put a component in hawkular (the artist known as kettle).

But the integration tests perhaps it can be discussed in future threads :-).