[Hawkular-dev] HWKMETRICS-67 Influx endpoint: support pretty print query parameter #211

Michael Burman miburman at redhat.com
Wed May 13 08:33:59 EDT 2015

Hi,

Like I said in the IRC, it's true that this helps browser-based querying (although many do use some addon on their browsers for debugging anyway), but this is so easy feature to do on the client side that is it really useful? But then to the actual implementation.

If we want to support streaming large resultsets for analytic purposes, this solution will not cut it (not that it needs to - there's no point when dealing with large amount of data). You have to keep the whole result in the memory, format it and then print it. When we're migrating to RxJava, for example following process would be doable and very neat:

http://christopher-batey.blogspot.fi/2014/12/streaming-large-payloads-over-http-from.html

(this is Cassandra + RxJava + JAX-RS streaming blog article)

That would allow customers to fetch large amount of data from the Metrics interface and do their own calculations on the raw data. Perhaps even the idea that Thomas H threw earlier that we could calculate the "new requirements, such as percentiles" on the Kettle without modifying the Metrics component each time. Now, should we protect ourselves somehow from people using pretty on that case ? Otherwise there's a possibility for killing the server to OOM with silly request.

  -  Micke