[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular integration

Michael Burman miburman at redhat.com
Wed May 20 07:32:56 EDT 2015

> I don't see this as a burden, I think it makes the boundaries between components much cleaner - each component with its integration points can be tested locally before being assembled/configured within hawkular.

I'm failing to see how this is clearing the boundaries when there's a clear dependency on another module - bus. Any changes to bus-integration layer will require fixing all the modules instead of single bus-module. By definition that's coupling and considered bad practise.

> We also need to consider component reuse. If all of the integration glue code is in hawkular, then any other projects that want to reuse just one component has to depend on artifacts from two repos. If all of the glue code was also in component, then (as with hawkular) the other components simply assemble the required components and configure as required.

I really doubt someone is going to use our bus layer instead of some other module. Our bus layer is based on another product which is what the other party would at most use. Metrics and Alerts are probably the ones that will be used outside Hawkular-proper and the integration between those two components is not necessarily the same that we use. So bus-project really has no need to be reusable, its only purpose is to connect Hawkular-modules.

  - Micke