[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular integration

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu May 21 06:43:41 EDT 2015

> This is a non-requirement, or only for Metrics. There is definitely no
> requirement that there is a package/runnable instance for each component
> or combination of components,.
>
> I am really fearing that we completely lost the focus which is
> *Hawkular* and add unnecessarily burden for non-requirements.
> What started as separation of concerns (One part that stores metrics,
> one part that manage alerts, one part that manage an inventory) became
> an a-la-carte project where we would need to produce/maintain/test
> combinations. We just don't have the time for that IMO.

OK, that's good to know. Even as recent as the F2F we were talking about deploying components (like alerts) standalone. Which was the whole reason behind the "CDI listener" stuff. But if Metrics is the only standalone component, they can figure out how they want to do that, but all our other components can be assumed to only be running in a full Hawkular environment. That makes some decisions easy. No need to play all these games to get components "pluggable" into the hawkular ecosystem - dual assemblies, or cracking open artifacts and injecting glue code. We can just assume we have dependencies on all the other components and be done with it.