[Hawkular-dev] [process] tickets and PRs

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Thu May 28 06:50:55 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:46:29 Juraci Paixão Kröhling wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 12:41 PM, Lucas Ponce wrote:
> > I also propose to squash commits when it has sense.
>
> +1 , having "one commit per jira" helps a lot in debugging :-)

-1 on squashing all PRs (if that is what you meant).

IMHO squashes are a nice feature to get rid of "garbage" commits PRIOR to
pushing those commits upstream but SHOULD NOT be used to modify any commits
that exists also remotely.

There are at least 4 reasons against squashing, IMHO:

1) possibility of messing things up like Mazz described.
2) divergence of histories in different repos (git branch|tag --contains
ceases to work)
3) squashing a large PR renders bisecting useless
4) it makes it impossible to "follow" a history of a feature development

So I agree that it makes sense to squash certain commits, but only before they
are merged into the official repos.

Ideally I think squash should only be used on local commits. But I do
recognize that one may just push stuff to their personal forks that they later
on would like to modify the history of (i.e. you're working on something and
either push quickly commits you didn't "clean out" locally or change your mind
later about something and don't want to "pollute" upstream with commits going
back and forth on the same lines of code).

So IMHO a) the number of commits for a jira should be proportional to the size
of the change and b) the commit history should be finalized before merging the
PR and retained using the merge of the PR.