[Hawkular-dev] What should -Pdev do?

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Thu May 28 13:31:02 EDT 2015

Hi *,

sorry, for bringing this up so late on this list. I discussed this on
#hawkular but probably outside US office hours and I totally
underestimated the amount of emotions some of us are tied by to -Pdev.

There was a change by me recently that changed a little bit how -Pdev
behaves.

Originally, a -Pdev just produced a bundle in which the default
configuration was changed to suit the dev use case: esp. one had jdoe
loaded by invoking simply standalone.sh.

As I worked on fixing the end to end tests in Hawkular, Lucas was fixing
the REST tests in alerts. We both had the problem that the hawkular
bundle that maven has downloaded from JBoss Nexus was build without
-Pdev and as a consequence of that we could not run our integration
tests by simply taking the bundle. We had to unzip the bundle, do what
-Pdev does and only after that we could start it.

Hence, as a solution, I have prepared

   https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular/pull/134

which caused that the stuff originally present only in bundles built
with -Pdev became available by default, but to use that dev stuff,
wildfly needs to be started with

   standalone.sh -c standalone-itest.xml

because standalone-itest.xml is the place where the dev configuration is
activated.

With this change, there is only one way to build a hk bundle, hence
there is only one bundle to distribute and download but you can do both
dev and prod things with it. Not having jdoe/password by running the
default config is a good thing from the security PoV.

The bottom line is that -Pdev in the present master has one small issue
that I fixed in https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular/pull/148

Please comment.

Thanks,

Peter