[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Metrics + Hawkular Alerts - Phase 0

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 11:52:06 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Interesting idea to have other event types, not just metric insertions; that is definitely something to explore. You are correct, the goal of this phase is not explore those ideas, but this is a required precursor. We need to make a first attempt on inter-component communication.

> As for deployment, it seems to me that a prepackaged Metrics+Alerts+Bus,
> that could [eventually] be replicated/clustered, would be good.  It
> could handle use cases where data is persisted and then pushed to the
> bus (like in hawkular), and then filtered and grabbed by alerts via a
> topic consumer. And it could handle REST interaction.  And it could
> offer the ability to leverage co-located clients as well.

Excellent point! That is the exact goal, to deliver a Metrics+Alerts package that can be used in environments where other features of Hawkular are not relevant. And vice-versa, there might be features implemented by this combined package that will never ever be relevant to Hawkular. We afford this kind of flexibility because of the microservice approach we took. That is why the decision to split everything into components was made, right?

> By the way, there is still the integration component I put together a
> while ago, that is completely independent of this discussion. It's an
> external alerter that is both a client of metrics and alerts, and
> generates alerts based on the results of aggregate queries performed
> against metrics.

I would prefer to port all that functionality to the architecture we decide through these discussions.