[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Metrics + Hawkular Alerts - Phase 0

Anton Hughes ah at tradeworks.io
Tue Nov 10 15:00:23 EST 2015

Hi all

Firstly, apologies if this thread is intended for Redhat staff only.

My development background is primarily in .net - and so I am writing here
to suggest using this instead - joking! chez.
But, while working with .net, microsoft release the Windows Communication
Foundation framework - basically a framework for abstracting the different
messaging systems - how messages are sent over the wire, or in proc - from
the implementation.

For the past 5 years I have been almost exclusively working in Java and was
delighted to see similar concepts in Jboss Switchyard and Apache Camel. In
particular, Switchyard allows for a service to be exposed to the world via
multiple bindings easily. Camel is also an excellent choice.

Personally I would love to see communication to Hawkular using Apache
Kafka! Adding a kafak binding in either Switchyard or Camel is a breeze!

When it comes to choosing a messaging implementation, I have good success
in choosing frameworks that focus on integration and abstracting the
specific messaging type. In my company, when we have discussions of should
we use rest or jms - we tend to say yes - the answer is in the question. We
need a system that easily supports both, and more.

If this discussion arises now, it will surely arise again - therefore make
the choice of easy integration. Abstract away how the message is sent to
being simply a configuration.

Kind regards

On 10 November 2015 at 20:19, Lucas Ponce <lponce at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > So, communication via Java API should be feasible.
> >
> > That is an option as long as it works in a distributed environment (think
> > containers and different JVMs; would Java API work there? and how?) and
> the
> > same interface that is currently exposed on the public REST API is
> > available.
> >

> I'm not thinking as a general option.
>
> But I have a wildfly server with metrics.war and alerts.war and
> mycomponent.war as client under same deployment, why I can't use Java API
> and I need to use REST between them ?
>
> EJB clients are also possible but this was not introduced before and I
> don't want to do it.
>
> But in the first scenario, looking for a user that wants to add its code
> colocated, the Java API should be the easy one.

Anton Hughes