[Hawkular-dev] Question about Alerts examples

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 09:52:01 EST 2015

Hi Anton,

Thanks for investigating this new feature (and new project).   In fact,
Lucas's examples are so new I haven't had a chance yet to go through
them in detail, hopefully today.  Let me just try and answer this now
and possibly revise the examples when I get a chance to review.

With 0.6.0 a client can insert Events via a REST endpoint.  All of the
send-events*.sh examples are doing this.  They will be persisted and can
optionally specify a 'DataId' (more on that in a moment).   Also,
Triggers can now generate an Alert or an Event, so Events can be
generated when a Trigger's conditions are satisfied.  A Trigger
specifies one or more Conditions, of which there are several types:
Threshold numeric conditions, Range numeric conditions, String
comparison conditions, etc. Conditions are evaluated against Data being
sent into the alerting engine (via REST).  A Condition specifies a
DataId and then evaluates against all the datums with that same DataId.

Now, starting in 0.6.0 there is a new condition type, EventCondition.
The datums for this kind of condition are Events (as opposed to numeric
for ThresholdCondition, and strings for StringCondition, for example).
So, if an Event comes via REST API, or is generated by a Trigger, and it
specifies a DataId, it will then be used for evaluation of any
EventCondition with that DataId. For example:

Trigger DeploymentFailed
   EventCondition {dataId: "deployer", expression: "text contains 'failed'"}
-->
   Create Alert

The Condition itself is connected to the Trigger via the triggerId.
Because conditions are owned by a Trigger the triggerId is actually a
path-variable on the post REST endpoint. Perhaps that is what you were
looking for?  The same approach is true when specifying Dampening for a
Trigger.

-Jay