[Hawkular-dev] Feature packs - a new way of packaging for WildFly

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 20:08:29 EST 2015

And we can take these fat feature packs and use the wildfly-extension-plugin maven plugin (and API) that Libor wrote to install these feature packs in an installed WildFly server - or you can use it to write your own customized installer (like we did for the agent).

The Agent Installer is built on top of Libor's maven plugin (it uses the API that the maven plugin is built on top of). You can see how we use the agent installer today in the kettle build - we use it to install the agent into kettle (aka the hawkular distro) during the build - see here:

https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular/blob/master/dist/pom.xml#L240-L285

If you happen to have a wildfly extension module zipped up (aka you have a fat feature pack or something else that zipped up your module), you can use the maven wildfly extension plugin to install it. See here: (this is the agent wf-extension module - the pom here lets you install an agent by building this wf extension module zip and running the wildfly-extension:deploy goal)

https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/blob/master/hawkular-wildfly-agent-wf-extension/pom.xml#L99-L113