[Hawkular-dev] Proposal: ban srcdeps from releases

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 04:39:38 EST 2015

Hi *,

this is yet another proposal from the series of changes that should make
the life easier for productization engineers and sustaining engineers.

While srcdeps [1] are showing themselves at their best while tinkering
across components, it is not 100% legal to depend on srcdeps artifacts
in releases.

Why:
(1) Releases are deployed to public Maven repositories where they are
made accessible to tools (IDEs, dependency/compatibility analyzers, ...)
that do not know how to handle srcdeps. For them, srcdeps are simply
unsatisfied dependencies and our artifacts depending on them appear as
disobedient to the common rules holding in public maven repositories.

(2) The productization tool chain can actually count to such tools too.
They are programmatically very strict about what is there in the
dependency hierarchy and I quite doubt that they are ready to adapt to
srcdeps.

The proposed solution:
With the next release, the srcdeps-maven-plugin will offer the option
[2] to fail with certain (configurable) profiles. The default being just
the "release" profile. This would reach Hawkular components with the
next release 27 of hawkular-parent. (Note that parent 26 is out,
although it still has not reached all Hawkular components.)

[1]
http://ppalaga.github.io/presentations/150929-srcdeps-maven-plugin/150929-srcdeps-maven-plugin.html
[2] https://github.com/l2x6/srcdeps-maven-plugin/pull/31

Best,