[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Inventory 0.6.0.Final released

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 16:29:29 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I'd like to announce that we've just released Hawkular Inventory 0.6.0.Final.

This release doesn't have many new features, in fact it doesn't have any. This
is purely a bugfix release but we decided to bump the minor version anyway
because of the one big improvement we've made. The read queries should now be
way more performant than they used to (up to an order of magnitude).

The release includes:
* improved logging of initialization failures
* adaptation to the new bus API introduced in Hawkular Bus 0.7.x
* more consistency checks on relationships of inventory entities
* streaming serialization should now work (still off by default) giving a
slight speed boost to REST calls
* Many querying optimizations (collapsing of hops into a single index lookup,
more indices on frequently queries properties, reducing the number of
scenarios requiring backtracking in graph queries, filtering on mirrored
immutable properties of vertices on edges) giving up to an order of magnitude
speed up on read REST calls.
* Moved integration tests to the component so that we can properly test all
scenarios conveniently.
* Fixes to support windows paths in configuration.

This release was made possible thanks to the contributions of the following
fine gentlemen:

Jay Shaughnessy
Jirka Kremser
John Mazzitelli
Lukas Krejci
Pavol Loffay
Peter Palaga

Future releases already have some pull requests ready for inclusion - namely:
* introduction of "name" as a first-class property on entities (instead of
being just a free-form unindexed user-defined property),
* move of feeds from environments directly under tenants, making it possible
to easily move feeds between envs and requiring 1 less thing to remember by
feeds (this will break clients but is hopefully worth it given the early stage
of development of everything Hawkular).

Well under way is the development of "metadata packs", aka "global resource
types". A feature that will enable feeds to very quickly check for presence of
a set of resource, metric and operation types with precise properties
(configurations, parameters, units, etc.) by computing their "content hash"
locally and checking with inventory if a pack with such hash exists.

Thanks,

Lukas