[Hawkular-dev] Is this an applicable use-case for Hawkular

Anton Hughes ah at tradeworks.io
Wed Oct 28 12:49:00 EDT 2015

On 27 October 2015 at 13:29, Jay Shaughnessy <jshaughn at redhat.com> wrote:

> lso, depending on your needs, you could find that your main needs are
> metrics and alerting, maybe BTM as well, and those components can both be
> used in a "standalone" mode, independent of the Hawkular framework.  REST
> APIs are the typical way to interact with Hawkular.  Hawkular Alerts has no
> built-in UI, I'm not sure if Metrics comes with any visualization outside
> of Hawkular.

Thanks.

I wasnt aware that the hawkular components could be run separately.

The BTM module looks interesting, however I am concerned about maintenance.
For example, in the configuration example on
http://www.hawkular.org/docs/components/btm/index.html, if I were to change
the switchyard service names it would break - and I assume there would be
no compile time errors? Therefore, using a strongly typed hawkular client
to communicate with hawkular would be preferred.

With Metrics, is it possible to add custom data? To illustrate, I have the
following use-case:
*log events of interest - *as a product owner I would like to use all  user
events of interest so that the user and system auditors can see what and
when a user did something. So, we would log "user John, with user id 1234
logged in at wed 25 oct 17:46. So we would be logging a custom event, and
storing custom data.

Thanks

--
Anton Hughes