[Hawkular-dev] Is this an applicable use-case for Hawkular

Anton Hughes ah at tradeworks.io
Thu Oct 29 08:45:36 EDT 2015

On 28 October 2015 at 18:16, Gary Brown <gbrown at redhat.com> wrote:

> Good point. The reason it is done this way is to give administrators
> control over what is monitored at any particular time, rather than having
> something that needs to be defined at development time.

Yes, I can see that is a good reason. And I think, so long as there is a
traditional in-code way, then you can have options for both parties. I do
see a trend - as part of the devops movement - where developers take on
more operations roles, and ops does more work in code - that the in-code
approach is likely to be favored by many.

> Although a typed API may still work best in your situation, would the
> approach outlined above address your concern?

We currently use the New Relic agent, and it is my understanding that Jboss
( possibly Wildfly too) can only run one agent at a time? It would be
difficult to convince my team to drop New Relic for Hawkular. And, as
mentioned in the initial thread, our use for Hawkular is more about
monitoring and capturing in code.

I know that, at this stage at least, Hawkular is very focus on server and
system monitoring. Should you wish to explore further the possiblity of
monitoring/capturing and alerting from more user-defined metrics and
events, you may wish to consider using something like the jbpm/drools
modeller. The idea being, a hawkular admin could define the model, then -
again possibly re-use from drools - alert rules could be described using
the user-defined model.

--
Anton Hughes