[Hawkular-dev] Bucketed data issues when no datapoints fall in the bucket span.

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 16:30:23 EDT 2015

I am running into a few issues when dealing with bucketed data when
there is no datapoints which happen to fall within a particular bucket size.

For instance, lets say I am getting data every 30 seconds. If my bucket
spans at least 30 seconds than everything works fine and all my buckets
contain non-empty data.

But, if I were to 'zoom in' a bit and ask for a bucket span less than 30
seconds, then some of the buckets would return with empty data.

Or, if my data does not come in perfectly for each of those 30 second
fragments (say the timestamps are plus or minus a couple of seconds)
then I could also end up with some buckets containing empty data as well.

This causes some strange charting behaviour. If a bucket is empty, then
its just not displayed in the chart. This means we can end up with
non-continuous lines in the charts, which is not desired.

Anyone know what should be done in this situation?

Its not really that there is no data there and nothing should be
graphed, its just that the bucket span is too small to show anything in
there.

Should charting just ignore empty buckets if they are not at the start
or the end?

Should hawkular metrics perform calculations to figure out what the
missing bucket values should be?

Any ideas here?