[Hawkular-dev] Bucketed data issues when no datapoints fall in the bucket span.

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 17:06:20 EDT 2015

On 08/09/15 04:56 PM, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> It's hard to determine what it means to interpolate values when you're
> looking at a metric at its resolution level.
>
> Put another way, what does it mean to ask for avg/min/median for every
> 30 seconds timespan if you have a point every 30 seconds?

Yeah, that is essentially the problem. Bucketed data is not all the
useful once you start to get into a smaller number of data points per
bucket.

But then it comes into the situation when something is expecting
bucketed data and we don't have metric points for the level it is
requesting (eg charting).

So how do you solve the chart "zooming in" situation? We could just
return the actual data points in that situation and not bucketed data,
but since its a different format and it gets tricky for clients to use it.