[Hawkular-dev] Resource Path view in UI

mike thompson mithomps at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 15:54:45 EDT 2015

Now that we have switched to Resource Paths (canonical paths from Inventory) it has come up that displaying the resource path is not very readable and requires parsing to make sense of it.

Please see the current use case as example:
https://issues.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12392747/AlertCenter2.jpg <https://issues.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12392747/AlertCenter2.jpg>
https://issues.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12392582/Alert-detailsnu.jpg <https://issues.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12392582/Alert-detailsnu.jpg>

An example resource path:
/t;28026b36-8fe4-4332-84c8-524e173a68bf/e;test/f;localhost/r;localhost~Local~~

To further break the above example into its pieces:
tenantId: /t;28026b36-8fe4-4332-84c8-524e173a68bf
environment: test
feed: localhost
resourceId: localhost

The following snippet explaining the resource path was extracted from: http://www.hawkular.org/docs/components/inventory/index.html <http://www.hawkular.org/docs/components/inventory/index.html>

Canonical Paths
A canonical path follows the contains relationships from a tenant down to the entity in question.

The canonical path has a form illustrated by the following example:

/t;tenant-id/e;env-id/r;resource-id
The above example is a canonical path to a resource with ID resource-id which is located in environment env-id which is inside a tenant tenant-id.

The type specifiers in the individual path segments can be these:

t - tenant
e - environment
rt - resource type
mt - metric type
f - feed
r - resource
m - metric

And as I understand it, the resource path also contains the parent resource prepended to this. So one can always figure out where the resource came from and can uniquely identify a resource.
A resource path is just one kind of canonical path (the others are given in the above except).

What fields should we parse out and display in the UI as individual fields?

I’ll start this conversation by assuming that the environment and tenant are not very useful to display. Then what about feed? And since resource is what we are after that one is obvious as needed.
WDYT?

And then there is the question of how Ancestry path should be viewed — but for now lets just stick to the above question of how should resources be viewed in the UI?
Ancestry Path is another topic for later.

Please refer to Jira: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-605 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-605>