[Hawkular-dev] Let embedded Cassandra service manage its own logging

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 10:39:06 EDT 2015

Hi,

I've been looking at the duplicate logs issue in Hawkular since
yesterday. Testing has shown that embedded Cassandra is the culprit.

I couldn't determine what exactly is going wrong. I suspect it's a
logging framework setup mess (Cassandra has a few logging framework
dependencies, even JBoss logging...)

I tried to make its logs configurable via Wildfly without success. So
I've sent a PR to let embedded Cassandra manage its own logging:
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-commons/pull/16

The consequences are the following:
- Cassandra logs go to "${jboss.server.log.dir}/embedded-cassandra.log"
- Log files follow a time base rolling policy (similar to Wildfly server
log file)
- You won't see Cassandra logs in Hawkular standard output anymore

It will still be possible to configure Cassandra log level via the
"hawkular.log.cassandra" system property (the logback configuration file
uses it).

I tried the changes in a Hawkular build and they solve the duplicate
logs issue.

If there's no objection on the principle, could someone please review
the pull request?

Thanks,
Thomas